Our Medicare carrier is WPS. They have instructed us to bill the -59 modifier when anesthesia is performed more than 1x on a date of service. If there are no NCCI issues we generally append the -59 modifier to the lesser charge amount and note "anesthesia service x2 on this date/documentation available" on the electronic claim as we do not yet have the capability to attach documentation to our electronic claims. This generally prompts a Medicare inquiry requesting documention. Also of note, even with this billing specification if the two separate services are submitted together, Medicare would generally pay one and the other as a duplicate or inclusive so we currently submit the unmodified charge and once that charge is paid we then submit the modified charge. This shouldn't be necessary as this is the whole point of the modifier but it's easier to hold then to appeal, appeal, appeal. This seems to have solved the erroneous denials we were receiving.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join