Refer to the CPT Assistant below:
Prostate needle biopsy with diagnostic rectal ultrasound
CPT Assistant, May 1996 Page: 3 Category:
Additional Ultrasonic Procedures
We also receive many questions regarding how to report a separate diagnostic ultrasound procedure in addition to a biopsy with ultrasonic guidance. One coding question frequently asked is how to report a diagnostic transrectal ultrasound performed in addition to a prostate biopsy with ultrasound guidance. In this case, to reflect the procedures performed accurately, two ultrasound codes are necessary.
Reporting a Separate Diagnostic Ultrasound Procedure in Addition to a Biopsy with Ultrasonic Guidance
To accurately code a prostate needle biopsy with ultrasonic guidance and separate diagnostic transrectal ultrasound, report the following codes:
Å¸ 76872, to report the transrectal ultrasound;
Å¸ 76942, to report the ultrasonic guidance used to guide the needle biopsy of the prostate; and
Å¸ 55700, for the needle biopsy of the prostate.
Remember, the use of 76872 does not preclude reporting 76942.
If you keep in mind the intent of the ultrasound procedure codes, coding for the diagnostic ultrasound procedure is also straightforward.
The intent of code 76872 is to describe a diagnostic transrectal ultrasound. The intent of CPT code 76942 is to describe an ultrasound used to localize a mass or region to be biopsied with a needle, and to guide the needle into the mass or region. By defining the intent of each code, we see that each clearly represents a separate and distinct service. For reporting purposes, both procedures should be appropriately documented.
CPT Assistant Â© Copyright 1990â€“2009 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Code Lookup with AAPC Coder
- Coding Data Files
- ICD-9 to ICD-10 Code Converter (FREE)
- Other ICD-10 Codes / Resources
- CPT Codes
- HCPCS Codes
- E/M Analyzer (FREE)
- CPT RVU Calculator (FREE)
- Risk Adjustment Search (FREE)
- PQRS Measure Search (FREE)
- Health Plan / Provider Policy Search (FREE)
- MACRA Calculator
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join