AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Post Op Complications

Default Post Op Complications

AAPC: Back to School
    Patient Had A Surgery With 90 Post Op Days, Patient Has A Complication And Returns To The Office For A Wound Abscess Drainage, Is Anyone Using A Modifier 58 On This Scenario For Medicare Or Private Carriers? (-58 For Therapy Followng Diag Sg Procedure)

Default Post Op Complications

IMHO -58 modifier isn't appropriate for the initial treatment of a surgical complication; this modifier is for subsequent, staged (preplanned), more extensive types of procedures. Think of it this way: First this, then that.

In 2008 CPT take a look at modifier -79; the wording has changed to not only include "return to OR" but also "or treatment room" (I'm paraphrasing because I don't have a CPT book with me at this moment).

I would check this to see if it's more appropriate to use for your case.

Example Scenario: if the initial treatment of the complication included the I&D for abscess, and then the patient was told to return in 3 days for another I&D, the procedure for the 2nd I&D is "preplanned" and the -58 modifier can go on the 2nd I&D procedure.

L J

Modifier 78 Now States Procedure Room, But Cms (medicare)
    Has Clarified That As A Surgical Suite, Etc.

St. Louis, Missouri

Does anyone know if there are certain criteria that have to be met in order for you to consider the room a surgical suite?

Melissa Blow, CPC

Similar Threads

1. post op complications
    By solocoder in forum Podiatry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2015, 11:05 AM
    By palani_bpt@yahoo.com in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 06:56 AM
  3. post op complications
    By MarineMom1 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 5