AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Wound Rexploration

Default Wound Rexploration

AAPC: Back to School
    Dr. did a wound inspection of pt s/p fasciotomy. All he did was remove the rubber catheters from both sides of forearm and re-exploration of the flaps. He washed out wounds and applied dressing change. This was under anesthesia.

The only CPT to bill would be the 15852 (dressing change for other than burns under anesthesia other than local); correct?

Kim, CPC

what about 11041-11044?

The Dr. does not state anywhere that he derided and when I asked him prior to posting the this, he stated he only did a washout and re-exploration of the wound with a dressing change. Here is the the basics of op note:

We removed the previous red rubber catheters from both sides of the forearm and explored the flaps. We washed it out with a bulb syringe. There was no purulence. His wounds looked pretty clean. It was just that the forearm was still swollen. We were able to get the skin back a little tighter I felt than it was when we began.

Some of the muscle did seem to react to electric stimuli on both sides of his forearm a little bit more than it had previous 2 days ago. I thought we were making some progress. The wounds again were lavaged with sterile saline and then again we used the red rubber drains and stabilized them in a shoestring like fashion to get some further early closure.

I agree with your original post then.

Great, thanks Mary.