AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Modifier -53 clarification

Default Modifier -53 clarification

AAPC: Back to School
    I do coding for an ob/gyn practice, we have alot of pts that come in and have IUDs inserted in some cases the Dr. cannot get the uterus sounded enough to insert the IUD or other circumstances happen that they cannot insert, ACOG says to bill 58300 -53 but I am confused because I have read alot of material on the 53 mod and everything keeps saying in the operating suite and before administration of anethesia, it makes it seem it is used in outpatient setting. can someone help me on this?

Default IUD with modifier 53

Hello - I also code for OB GYN and have used the 53 modifier for IUD inserts that were unsuccessful based on a number of reasons. I tracked one charge using the modifier and it was paid. Hope this helps.
    Fairview, CPC
    S. Stevens, CPC

ok, thanks

Similar Threads

1. Modifier 91 Clarification
    By celcano in forum Internal Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 02:00 PM
  2. Modifier -26 clarification please
    By jademartinez in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 08:15 AM