If the PA is seeing the patients in the hospital setting, these may not be billed incident-to. This comes under the definition of a shared service, however to be a shared service the physician whom the service is being billed under must have a face to face encounter with the same patient on the same day and write their own assessment note. CR1776 states:
"However if there is no face to face encounter between the physician and the patient (even if the physician signs off on the assessment provided by the NPP), then the visit must be billed under the NPP's number."
Debra Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join