Thread: Failed back surgery syndrome?

Default Failed back surgery syndrome?

Took me a while to figure this one out... the doc had written "FBBS," I went a little nuts trying to figure out what that extra B meant. Come to find out she meant to say FBSS, standing for "failed back surgery syndrome." ANYWAY... is there a code for this? I used v454 for history of spinal fusion, but is there a way to indicate that this was unsuccessful?

Failed Back Syndrome=Post Laminectomy Syndrome (722.80) The region of the spine would change the 5th digit...cervical, thoracic, lumbar...

Wow! That was fast! Thank you!

Default post laminectomy vs post laminectomy syndrome

When a physician documents "post laminectomy and fusion", and doesn't further elaborate, I was told by another coder that since the pt had a laminectomy, this automatically implies the patient has "Post laminectomy Syndrome" 722xx.

I disagree, since the physician is only stating that the pt is post surgery; Not that the surgery failed.

(We code for the physician, not the hospital) I was coding this as v45.4 to indicate the pt is post fusion/which includes the surgery. I've always understood that PLS and FBS (failed back syndrome) means that the laminectomy/surgery failed, and that the pt has continued chronic pain...

Please give me your thoughts on the matter,

Thanks!
    Last edited by ITAIRHART; 12-30-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: not sure if question is clear

Similar Threads

1. Plastic back surgery
    By julieagus in forum Plastic Surgery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2015, 10:25 AM
  2. Icd9 failed back surgery
    By mamacase1 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2013, 11:37 AM
  3. Help with back surgery
    By madgejones10 in forum Neurology/Neurosurgery
    Replies: 7