S codes cannot be billed to Medicare. If you look at the coding instructions at the beginning of the S codes in the HCPCS book it states that they are Temporary National Codes (Non-Medicare)
We have had to bill 43999 with a note on the appropriate area of the HCFA describing the procedure and so far we are receiving pymt from several different Medicare carriers but you may have to submit a few different UPC codes to Medicare until you find the code that your carrier will reimburse.
But believe me, we all are feeling your pain!!!!!
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join