When a malignant lesion is excised, a margin of normal tissue is usually removed. If a lesion excision involves a margin far exceeding the diameter of the actual lesion, it may be appropriate to assign a radical resection code or report the exised diameter...diameter and narrowest margin.
Radical resection=A radical resection is an extensive procedure often involving the skin and subcutaneous tissue, fascia, and underlying muscle group. The radical resection codes include tumor resection, with margins of normal skin as well as the incontinuity muscle group excision. If a split thickness skin graft is necessary to close the defect, it is coded in addition to the resection code.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join