AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incision and Drainage Procedure - Patient had an I&D done

AAPC: Back to School
    10060-10061 codes are Integumentray (Skin) codes and 26010-20611 are Musculoskeletal codes. Usually the 2000 codes are reserved for deep (below fascia to muscle) procedures.

Anna Barnes, CPC, CGSCS

Greeley, Colorado

Plain English Description for 26010-26011 according to Plain English Descriptions for Procedures published by Contexo states "The physician drains an abscess from one of the fingers. The physician makes an incision into the infected area and manipulates the abscess to drain it. Code 26011 for an abscess that penetrates deep into the soft tissue of the finger, and requires more extensive work to remove the fluid and clean the wound".

Doesn't appear to have anything to do with bone...
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Gulf to Bay Chapter in Clearwater Florida

Default Human Anatomy

We are educated and trained to code to the highest specificity. Simply put the major most significant reason why the procedure is being done.

Cutaneous – means skin (superficial)

Subcutaneous- means below the skin (thick, fat-containing tissue)

(CPT code 26010) – Tell the location of the human anatomy, as well as what procedure is done. This is more appropriate to use, because of a more significant code. You also, can add one of the modifiers FA thru F9 for hand.

(CPT code 10060) – Only tell what procedure is being done. This code is not specific enough. When there is a more detailed code that tells location of the human anatomy as well as what procedure.

Shirley Burch, CPC

I am doing a power point on I & D, Biopsy and Aspirations...I appreciate all of the information that you have given regarding why one would use the 10060 vs 26010. Key words, superficial and Integumentary vs Musculoskeletal system. I am only at the beginning stage of making this powerpoint and just wanted to say I am grateful for this forum to use as a go to for some of the information.

I agree with 26010..it only has around 1 RVU higher and its more specific to the finger1:P)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12