AAPC - Back to school
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incision and Drainage Procedure - Patient had an I&D done

Exclamation Incision and Drainage Procedure - Patient had an I&D done

AAPC: Back to School
    Patient had an I&D done of the right middle finger. Patient was prepped and cleansed with Betadine and alcohol and a #11 blade was used to make a superficial incision. Scant to small amount of purulent drainage was obtained and sent for culture and sensitivity.

I've tried every which way to find the ICD-9 and CPT code for this but I am not sure which to use.

Thank you
    Julianne Sheetz, CPC

What about 10060?

Finger abscess is 681.00

Those are the two codes I would use.

I&D of finger is 26010-Simple 26011 for Complicated (EG: Felon)

I disagree with 26010 based on the documentation provided.

26010 goes to the subcutaneous tissue, requiring debridement & irrigation.

The note says "superficial" which is on the surface of the skin. 10060 is appropriate.

I think I'll go with 10060, it makes the most sense to me. Thank you!
    Julianne Sheetz, CPC

Bangor, Maine

I agree with the 10060. It does say "superficial" in your brief procedure note. If the provider went into subcutaneous tissue, they most likely would have documented it. Remember, you can only code what is documented so go with what you've got.
    And also, never code something you might be unsure of. You can always query the provider for additional info if needed. Good luck!

Johnstown, Pennsylvania Chapter

I realize this question is old news but I was wondering why some are opposed to the 26010 CPT? I use this for my finger abscesses and nowhere in the CPT Book can I find that for this code it has to be subcutaneous. I then looked it up in the Ingeix coders desk reference and it says that "the physician drains an abscess located on a finger. In 26010, the physician lances an abscess in the cutaneous tissue of a finger." So then the definition of cutaneous according to my Taber's Medical Dictionary is "Pert. to the skin."

So by using 26010 I feel that you are coding to the highest specificity available to you by your CPT.

Greeley, Colorado

Question Very interesting

I've always used 10060-10061 but based on the descriptions of these codes and the description of 26010-20611 in CDR and looking at RVU's; why wouldn't one use 26010-26011??
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

I would agree with CPT 10060. This is an integumentary code vs CPT 26010 which is muskuloskeletal referring more to bone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast