AAPC - August DL Sale: 50% OFF
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alleged sexual assault

Question Alleged sexual assault

AAPC: CPC Promo
    I have a case where the admit and final dx is alleged sexual assault. Any suggestions?
    Julianne Sheetz, CPC

You cannot code alleged, was it investigated by the physician and no evidence found? if so then look under category V71 (which are first-listed only). Otherwise code the symptoms.

Question

There are no symptoms and no exam was done. This is on a child. Do you think it's appropriate to use V71.81? However, Category V71 is Observation and evaluation for suspected conditions not found.
    Julianne Sheetz, CPC

Well that is what we use when a victom states there was sexual assual but the physician finds no evidence of assault, but that is after an examination. So did a parent bring the child in alleging sexual assault? If so why no exam?

Yes, a step-parent brought in the child. The Dr said that exam not performed. Dr. deferred exam as child is going to be getting a SANE Exam at a center for children.
    Julianne Sheetz, CPC

Then there is no way say wheter there was an assault or not, I do not see how a visit can be charged if there was no exam to report.

Default V71.5

You can use this code, this is nothing but a rape condition, V71.5 can be used in this case.

I do not think it fits if there is no exam, that code says observation and evaluation of a suspected condition NOT found. So it would imply then that there was no evidence of assault not that there had been no exam. So I do not think it should be used.

I agree with mitchelle . Without exam, especially situation like this I won't bill

The CC in this section states the following though

The fact that the patient may be scheduled for continuing observation in the office/clinic setting following discharge does not limit the use of this category.
    Julianne Sheetz, CPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast