Use 78 - unplanned return to OR/procedure room by same physician following initial procedure for a related procedure during the postoperative period.
Complications aren't "routine" postop care. Yes, they do happen, but it requires additional work, time, and resources. They are codable with appropriate modifiers.
Now, from the billing end ... you may receive a denial but I encourage you to appeal. I've had payers go both ways, and it never hurts to try
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join