It's 3 years. Per the Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 12, Section 30.6.7.A:
30.6.7 - Payment for Office/Outpatient Visits (Codes 99201 99215)
A. Definition of New Patient for Selection of Visit Code
Carriers must interpret the phrase â€śnew patientâ€ť to mean a patient who has not received any professional services from the physician or physician group practice within the previous three years. "
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join