AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Deferred Exam

Default Deferred Exam

AAPC: Back to School
    Using 1995 guidelines, counting body systems, can you credit the phrase "exam deferred" as a body system? For example, if the physician dictates "rectal exam deferred", would that count as GI or does the physician get credit only when he actually performs the exam?

no. deferred means he didn't do it. if he didn't do it, he doesn't get credit

Default Deferred exam

Thank you. I tend to agree. Is there anyone who thinks differently?

Boston, MA

I agree with NO. Deferred means it wasn't done, can't credit. I see this quite a lot, esp. with the rectal exam. It may have been deferred because it is not medically necessary - and medical necessity is required.
    Karolina, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

According to Coding Answer Book, E/M guidelines pg 15315-16 "are coders allowed to "count" an exam bullet for a portion of the physical attemepted by the physician, but refused by the patient (for example, the rectal exam)? The answer is a very simple "no,"." It goes into more depth, just wanted to give you a resource.

Boston, MA

Default to mixitli

Good stuff, but "deferred" is not necessarily because of the patient's refusal. I'm sure you feel the same way, since you also said "no".
    Karolina, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

Similar Threads

1. Exam Deferred by Patient
    By chasarmil in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 11:28 AM
  2. Physical Exam Deferred
    By Rajesh Kumar J in forum E/M
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 03:40 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 10:29 PM