Uti - Having brain cramps today

Default Uti - Having brain cramps today
    Medical Coding Books
    Having brain cramps today..too close to a long weekend. Is there any rules or guidelines against coding a UTI and a gross hematuria together on an inpatient chart?

If so it is affecting both of us! Because I have searched my brain and come up blank, so I would code both. Have a great weekend!

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Thanks..you too! Happy 4th!

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieTibbetts View Post
    Having brain cramps today..too close to a long weekend. Is there any rules or guidelines against coding a UTI and a gross hematuria together on an inpatient chart?
    Hi Leslie,

I personally would only code the uti. I was taught that once you have a definite Dx you dont code the symptoms. I think that hematuria is a symptom of a uti. Just my opinion.

Dawn, CPC

But you "think" it may be a symptom of the UTI however it could be a symptom of some other condition not yet disclosed. Unless the physician ties the symptom to the definitive dx then I say code them both. Also hematuria is not all that common with a UTI. Now burning and pain on urination no I would not code those at all.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. Uti
    By Mindy Davis in forum ICD-10
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2015, 09:37 AM
  2. recurrent uti vs history of uti
    By kjustin in forum Urology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2015, 07:52 AM
  3. uti help
    By perkins05 in forum E/M