AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Coding off of 2 Systems During Transition?

Default Coding off of 2 Systems During Transition?

AAPC: Back to School
    My main questions would be, just as offices must move back and forth between two systems when transitioning to new accounting/billing software, would coders be coding off of both systems ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM (or would the encoder software be redesigned to generate an automated crosswalk--if that is possible--sort of like approximate translation between two languages with disparate grammatical structures--- )
    for a period of at least one year during the months following (or even immediately prior to) the 2013 converson? I believe that will require a great deal of open-mindedness for change and flexibility on the part of the coders.

Beth Hunt
    HIM/Coding Student (new graduate as of Summer 2009)
    Tacoma Community College, Tacoma, WA ONLINE H.I.M. program

I believe it will be up to the software you use whether they will write it so you can use ICD-9 and ICD-10.
    My guess most softwares will do one or the other, so any dates after October 2013 would be in one system and any dates before would be in another.

Charleston, South Carolina

If you can, listen to the ICD-10 webcast from Thursday. I believe you can find this link under the ICD-10 link on the AAPC home page. It had a good discussion about this issue.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

Similar Threads

1. Transition in Care coding
    By debi in forum E/M
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-16-2016, 07:20 PM
  2. The Inpatient Transition: A Guide to Acute Care Coding
    By mdixon2 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 12:16 PM
  3. Transition to Inpatient coding