AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Wound Care

Exclamation Wound Care

AAPC: Back to School
    I have just started billing for wound care at a nursing facility care. Can I charge an E/M code as well as a debridement of wounds on the same day and if so what modifier? These patients are new to my facility and will receive wound care/debridement qod. What modifier should we use for the debridement codes?

This type of coding is totally new to me and I am unsure of what code to use.

Can someone help me?

Omaha Chapter

I bill for wound care it is not for a nursing facility but, my dr's goes to the wound care center and see's patients there and we do the charges. When he see's a patient as a new patient or a consultation visit and does a debridement also, I use the 25 modifier code on the E/M code. If they do more than one debridement then I use the 51 modifier on the second debridement.
    Hope this helps, I don't know if it is differant for nursing facility care or not.

I thought modifier 51 was not approved for out pt ?

Similar Threads

1. E/M for Wound Care
    By clbarry8033 in forum E/M
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2015, 07:02 AM
  2. Wound Care
    By Sparky79 in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM
  3. wound care
    By Tonyj in forum E/M
    Replies: 0