AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Trigger point injections

Default Trigger point injections

AAPC: Back to School
    Occasionally we are performing a trigger point injection on a patient during the post operative period. This is done for a different diagnosis. Medicare is paying the medicine code but denying the trigger point code. Does anyone know why?

Mary, CPC

Default cmoore, cpc

You need to use a 79 modifier on the trigger to keep from bundling into the surgical procedure and link to unrelated dx.

But everything I am reading says not to use 79 for Medicare. Do you have any documentation that states this is acceptable?

North Carolina

Where did you read this? I have never heard of this.

Use modifier 79 to report an unrelated procedure or service by the same physician during the postoperative period.

Page 7

Traverse City Michigan

It might be the because of LCD the only payable DX for a Trigger Point is 729.1 Look at the medicare website for LCD coverage

I need to clarify the actual procedure code I am referring to is 20610

Chicopee, MA

20610 is for a joint injection, not a trigger point injection. If your doc is actually doing trigger points, look at codes 20552 & 20553.

Regardless, if either is done during a global period for an unrelated reason, append modifier -79.

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 10:27 PM
  2. Trigger Point injections
    By metzger130 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2013, 03:46 PM
  3. Trigger Point Injections
    By melissaannsmith in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 06:04 AM
  4. Trigger point injections