I want a second opinion on this senario. A patient has an Aqueous Shunt surgery (66180) and is seen in clinic for post op visit. On po visit 3 the doctors finds the tube to be misplaced and advises the patient to follow up in clinc the next day. On that day they doctor decides to perform out patient surgery on the patient the following day. I coded this senario as followed
92014-24 dx 996.59
92014-24-57 dx 996.59
The surgery was coded using a -78. I was asked why did i attach a -24 to the visit and why did i attach both the the second. My reply was that the first visit was a complication to surgery, new problem with add work up. The second visit was to recheck and perform the add work up and on that day the decision for surgery was made. It is my understanding that both modifier's are needed to clarify the reason for the visit. She questioned why would that be an unrealted E/M visit during post op but the procedure would require a -78. Related surgery ?? Would anyone agree this was coded correct and i should be able to bill for both visits ?? I understand the patient was in post op but i should be able to bill any complications to surgery along with a -24.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join