AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Ventral Hernia x2

Talking Ventral Hernia x2

AAPC: Back to School
    Should I code for 2 Hernia repairs with the same incision? Here is part of his OP: I had previously marked the 2 hernia sites which were located in the periumbilical region and approx 4 cm above the umbilicus. I made a transverse elliptical incision just above the superior aspect of the umbilicus & carried this down and dissected superiorly towards the larger hernia sac. This was dissected off the surrounding tissue and then excised at the level of the fascia. I then dissected the umbilical hernia sac off the surrounding tissue & then escised at the level of the fascia. I then dissected the umbilical hernia sac off the surrounding tissue & then excised this at the level of the fascia. There was an approximately 1.5 cm fascial bridge between the two hernias and I opted to open this up.....
    I would appreciate input...

I only code one repair when two [or more] hernias are repaired together, thru one incision, and, if applicable, using one mesh.
    Connie Martin

Similar Threads

1. ventral hernia
    By cynthiabrown in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 05:50 PM
  2. 2 Ventral Hernia
    By laura_clffrd@yahoo.com in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
  3. Ventral hernia, incidental umbilical hernia, can bill for mesh?
    By trinalankford in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 10:40 AM
  4. Ventral/Incisional Hernia
    By coderguy1939 in forum Gastroenterology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 09:14 AM
  5. Ventral hernia
    By ChrissyMiodrag in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2008, 09:20 AM