AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Non-contributory: where is written authority?

Default Non-contributory: where is written authority?

AAPC: Back to School

We all don't like "Family history: non-contributory" and don't allow it - it's common knowledge. However, my facility would like to have the written back-up as to why this is not allowed.

I've looked through the various threads and written a few inquiries privately AND searched the Internet ... nada. A thought in the back of my head is that this was an OIG thing, but I can't find anything on that either.

Does anyone have an article they can provide me the citation with or a specific carrier's dictum on that? We have Palmetto in CA and I could write a letter and ask it for clarification, but that might take a little time.

Thanks much -

North Carolina

This is my carrier's policy.

Record Past/Family/Social History (PFSH) appropriately considering the clinical circumstance of the encounter. Extensive PFSH is unnecessary for lower-level services.

Don't use the term "non-contributory".

Not to sound like a smart mouth but just give them the definition of the word.

I think it is pretty clear, this has nothing to do with medical care at all.

This is WPSMedicare saying no to it.

Good luck in your search,

Laura, CPC

Chicopee, MA

WPS Medicare has also stated this terminology is not sufficient - http://www.wpsmedicare.com/part_b/pu..._history.shtml

I don't see any policy like this for Palmetto.

You may have to write to them.

I just wrote to mine (NHIC) on this subject the other day. I'll keep you posted if/when I get a response.

Greeley, Colorado

Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Boston, MA

I went to a coding event last summer and there it was said that the term "non-contributory" may be acceptable for PFSH, but not for the ROS.

Unfortunately, right now I don't have anything in writing.

I am also in NHIC territory (MA) -

Erica - pls share what you find out, I'd be interested to see if they really do allow it and under which circumstances, considering that most other carriers don't.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Karolina, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

For those in Highmark Medicare's jurisdiction, they have this topic addressed on their FAQ page at http://www.highmarkmedicareservices....rvices.html#19, question #24 which states, in part: "The use of the term "noncontributory" may be permissible documentation when referring to the remaining negative review of systems. The term "noncontributory" may also be appropriate documentation when referring to a patient's family history during an E/M visit, if the family history is not pertinent to the presenting problem." See the full text for the complete response.
    Jenny Berkshire, CPC, CEMC, CGIC