Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Certification of CPC-H and -P??

Medical Coding Books
    I was working in the outpatient field when I learned everything, however having said that, note that none of this was taught to me I had to research everything out, I burned up the web looking for everything I could get. But once I had the information, I was able to use it as a part of my job to put all the pieces together. I will send you the same links I send to Leslie and see if that helps.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    I will look up some things and PM you you with some links. I think your decision is a good one and will serve you well. There is a great CMS transmittal on the OCE which is packed with info not only on the OCE but also on OPPS in general, I will find the link and send to you. Also the UB04 manual which I have laying around on my desktop somewhere, is very good. I will find the link for that as well.
    Good morning Deb,

I found that OCE transmittal and also a webinar on the cms site and did it yesterday. You were right, lots of info. I would love to get may hands on the UB04 manual of yours though, if the offer still stands. Thanks again for guiding me the right way. Have a great week!

I will get it to you, we are have some wicked storms here today and the internet is have issues. I will try to get that out before the next hit if I can.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

4. Default
    Deb, I'm sure it will help! Thank you! I also work in an Outpatient Clinic (Hematology/Oncology). We're having some crazy storms here in LR too! Man!

Amanda, CPC
    Urology coder

My preparation for both the CPC-H and CPC-P was a combination of work experience on those side, coupled with use of the study guides and additional independent study using personal resources.

Generally speaking, the study guides framed my endeavor. I used the information therein to research parts of the exams I was unfamiliar with or had no exposure to. You'd be surprised at how much "sheltering" can be done to a coder over the course of time.

In my area, there are plenty of physician-based coding prep academic and review courses, but nearly (and probably indeed) nothing for hospital or payer-based coders. On-the-job training is the best they might hope for. What's sad is that we have multiple coding programs available in the metro area, but few choices for coders interested in the hospital, payer or other environments.

It is possible to successfully complete the CPC-H and/or CPC-P through independent study. However, I believe the individual must want the credentials pretty badly to follow-through on the independent study. You might also look into pursuing a study group through your local chapter. Even if you can't necessarily gain a moderator out of it, you can network with those having similar interests and possibly get subject matter experts to assist now and again.

Good luck to you. I hope all works out well.

Default To Mitchelled:
    Thanks for all the info you posted about the CPC-H exam. Could you possibly post the links that you are sending to Leslie, or could you send them also to me? I am starting to study for the CPC-H also and don't quite know where to begin, but those things are definitely what I need to study up on.

Default AAPC Practice exams
    I was checking out the online practice exams. Why isn't there one for CPC-H? Anyone know?

Default CPC exam
    I know you guys were talking about getting credentials in different specialties , but by any chance do any one have Carol Buck CPC practice exam and if so is it possible that i can buy it from someone . Thanks very much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12