Look at 99217. Per AMA CPT book "Observation discharge of a patient from Observation status includes final exam of the patient, discussion of the hospital stay, instructions for continuing care, and preperation of discharge records." Also look on page 13 of the 2009 AMA CPT book at the paragraph directly above the 99234 code and that directs you to the 99217 code for a different discharge date. 99234-99236 is for Observation on the same date of service. Hope this helps
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join