AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: timed test

AAPC: Back to School
    Grandfathered in...ok. When you can get the insurance companies to accept our errors and just grandfather claims in because they were done by coders already certified when the change came let me know.

The CPC test will have to change, ICD-9 will be out the door so those parts will be replaced by ICD-10. How much additional testing there will be I can't even begin to imagine. I can't understand why people are pitching a fit about this in the first place. The test isn't on what you have memorized, the test is on your ability to find the correct code based on the information given and the resource (ICD-10) at hand. This isn't something trivial, this is a huge change. A full third of the coding world is changing completely. If we can't pass the test there is a bigger problem than us losing an additional $60 or having to take it multiple times. If we can't do it we risk losing our jobs not just our credentials. If we can't do this coding the day it goes live we are a hinderance to our organizations and will cost them money. No one can afford that this day and age. I think it is very apparent that there are many coders out there ready to take our places if we can't keep up.

Getting off my soapbox now,

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Kokomo, IN

Default Icd-10

I think one of the things being overlooked here is the fact that ICD-9 will no longer be valid. You will only be using ICD-9 on past claims once we reach the date Oct 1, 2013 (? or 2014), I can't remember the exact date. But, as of that date ICD-10 will be what's used. So, you won't be "specializing" in ICD-10, you will be a certified coder as we who have gone before have certified. When the new one's test after that date, it will be for a CPC or a specialty cert, but it will be with ICD-10 not ICD-9.
    So, if you put it in that perspective, I really have to agree we need to re-test to show we are knowledgeable enough to continue our current/future jobs. It is also open book, done on a computer, you can use whatever resources you have at your disposal, AND you have up to 3 1/2 years to study before you have to have passsed the test. You can take it as many times as needed ($60 every 2 tests). I really don't see the problem here.
    I have read many posts on here that there are coders out there that do not know their jobs now, so can you imagine how many will be out there who do not know ICD-10 if we were grandfathered?? It boggles the mind. This is just my opinion!
    Anna Weaver, CPC, CPMA, CEMC
    Associate Auditor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12