AAPC - July Freedom Sale

Thread: ICD-9-CM code for Estrogen Deficiency

Default ICD-9-CM code for Estrogen Deficiency

What would be the correct ICD-9-CM code for an estrogen deficiency? I looked in the ICD-9-CM index under "deficiency," but there was nothing listed, so I referenced "hormone deficiency." The index says to see "deficiency, by specific hormone," but again nothing for estorgen. Any insight? Thanks.
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P
    Compliance Auditor

Unfortunately, I don't have a definitive code for you. However, I've got something.

If we look at the male equivolent in the alphabetic index, it sends us to a code narrative reading, "Other testicular hypofunction". So why am I talking about testosterone in the presence of estrogen? Well, if it isn't too far of a stretch, we can use the precedent for coding in testosterone to apply to estrogen.

By my read, you might consider 256.39 (Other ovarian failure)--because those organs are responsible for secreting estrogen--and query the provider for assistance if possible. Give some examples from that 256 category (because I really think that's where your code will come from) and let him/her share the clinical knowledge.

Be sure to let us know what the physician recommends.

Good luck!
    Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

I will query the doctor on Monday to see what she says. I was thinking ovarian failure as well, but the wording didn't seem right. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks.
    Compliance Auditor

2017 ICD-10-CM Coding Book
    I spoke with the pysician about this. Per the pysician, an estrogen dificiency would be considered an ovarian failure. The correct ICD-9-CM code would be 256.39. Thanks to all who helped me.
    Compliance Auditor