Operative Arteriogram

1. Default Operative Arteriogram
    Exam Training Packages
    Hello!

I am hoping someone can answer a question for me.

If the doctor does an incision over a previous incision of a bypass graft, Then an operataive arteriogram thur ie: a fem/pop bypass,was done which showed the graft to be patent but beyond the anastomosis it was occluded.

A Fem/Pop w/vein was done.

Now, is the operative arteriogram billable? If so, what do you bill. I am torn on and not sure what the answer is. The surgeons want us to bill this.

Please any suggestion would be appreciated and/or if you know of where I can find any quidlines on this I would love to know the link etc.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dpumford View Post
    Hello!

If the doctor does an incision over a previous incision of a bypass graft, Then an operataive arteriogram thur ie: a fem/pop bypass,was done which showed the graft to be patent but beyond the anastomosis it was occluded.

Now, is the operative arteriogram billable? If so, what do you bill. I am torn on and not sure what the answer is. The surgeons want us to bill this.

Please any suggestion would be appreciated and/or if you know of where I can find any quidlines on this I would love to know the link etc.

Thanks!

I would bill for the operative angio:
    36140 - Extremity Artery - Unilateral
    75710 - Extremity Unilateral

Then bill for the bypass surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by dpumford View Post
    Hello!

Thanks!

You can bill the imaging portion of the arteriogram (75710) as long as there is documentation of supervision (performance of the test) and interpretation (findings of the test). You did not specify whether a catheter was placed but I would not bill for access as this was necessary to the subsequent bypass, unless the access was at a site other than the bypass.

HTH
    Danny L. Peoples
    CIRCC,CPC

I agree to bill the 75710 for this one...I have another question to throw into this one...the OR does the S&I (75710) and then on the same day radiology reads the arteriogram. would you bill for the "re-read" by radiology?? I'm getting many different answers on this one and am curious what everyone else thinks.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MLS2 View Post
    I agree to bill the 75710 for this one...I have another question to throw into this one...the OR does the S&I (75710) and then on the same day radiology reads the arteriogram. would you bill for the "re-read" by radiology?? I'm getting many different answers on this one and am curious what everyone else thinks.
    thanks!
    Very interesting question...If the OR (surgical team) does the S & I (Supervision and Interpretation) they should bill. So, I would say that radiology should not bill since they did not perform both components of the procedure. You could perhaps bill a "re-read" as an unlisted procedure.

HTH
    Danny L. Peoples
    CIRCC,CPC

thanks...the OR definitely did the S&I on the case in question. I think what radiology does is adds a 52 to their S&I. I'm not sure I agree with that though.

Quote Originally Posted by MLS2 View Post
    thanks...the OR definitely did the S&I on the case in question. I think what radiology does is adds a 52 to their S&I. I'm not sure I agree with that though.
    My feeling is that radiology should have nothing to do with the bill since Surgery did the S&I. Radiology could do something w/ surgery if a technologist was involved with the procedure.

thanks for the input...I was thinking the same way!