AAPC - Back to school

Thread: hospital coding

York, PA

Default hospital coding

AAPC: Back to School
    I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I recently became cpc certified and decided to try to become cpc-h certified. I ordered the Carol Buck cpc-h coding exam review book. This book looks very little different from the book I had to study the cpc. It still does not answer any of my questions on how to use Volume3 of the ICD-9 book. Can anyone shed some light for me how how this volume is used. I have an interview with a hospital on Friday and am panicked. I'm confused as to whether or not you still use the cpt codes with the volume 3 codes or how it works. Please please help.. and yes, I'm begging!!

Columbia, MO

Volume 3 ICD-9 is used only for the inpatient facility. Outpatient uses CPT for the procedures. You will need to know a little about revenue centers and their relationship to CPT codes, also it would not hurt to know about the G0 condition code and multiple visits on the same day in the same revenue center. Also Even thought the outpatient clinic uses the same visit level codes as the physician they do not use 95/97 criteria. Each facility is to have their own unique criteria to determine the visit level. Other than that you should be fine.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

York, PA

thank you for your help! I really appreciate it and am going to cram as much as I can before Friday! Thanks again!

Volume 3 is for inpatient -- and is not on the CPC-H exam.

The only thing I did was buy the study guide.