Do anyone know the correct way to code GIST-Gastrointestinal Tumor? The op report says Duodenal neoplasm, so I went to the pathe report and it stated GIST. It does not specify Benign or malignant. In the ICD-9 under tumor-stromal-gastrointestinal, it has 3 specifications:benign 215.5, malignant 171.5 and unc beh 238.1, next to GI, has 238.1. I am thinking to code 238.1 because the path report does not state benign or malignant.
Also, my next question, in my coding billing book, 238.1 is not listed as a covered DX. What should I do?
- Medical Coding
- Medical Billing
- Practice Management
- Exam Preparation
- Other Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Virtual Coding Experience (Practicode)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Log In / Join