Thread: Total vs Partial Thyroid Lobectomy, Unilateral; with or without isthmusectomy

Question Total vs Partial Thyroid Lobectomy, Unilateral; with or without isthmusectomy

Our General Surgeons perform Thyroidectomies, mainly unilateral. They state they are always totals however, on a few of their notes they have stated that they remove 95% or had to leave some of the lobe behind due to the nerve or 10 to 15% behind. They requested I find out if it was 100% had to be removed or if a small percentage remained it could still be coded as Total. One physician stated he believed if 80% was removed it could still be coded as total. Has anyone heard of this?

Yes, residual thyroid tissue is often left after performing a "total thyroid lobectomy" - one lobe, or "total thyroidectomy", both lobes. You are billing correctly with regards to a "total thyroid lobectomy" (unilateral) CPT 60220, regardless that some thyroid tissue remains. Any questions, do not hesitate.

Jennifer
    CT ENT

Do you possibly have a reference for this? I have received a response from a consultant I use that states it would not be a total. I search the CPT Assistant and tried an ENT newsletter without success. The consultant is just repeating the CPT Annotations to me. I appreciate any supporting documentation you have for this.