Thread: Fracture vs Splinting inthe ED

Question Fracture vs Splinting inthe ED

Promo: Code Books
    I have a question regarding fracture care in the ED vs splinting. If the ED MD performs a closed fracture treatment service lets say 26600 and then splints the finger can he charge for The ED visit and the fracture service and not the splinting charge? Or just the ED visit and the splinting charge only without the fracture charge. Would the same charges be billable on the facility side as well? Thanks

I don't think the ED physician should be charging fracture care for non-manipulative treatment, as he will not be seeing the patient again. If he reduces the fracture, he'd need to bill for the manipulative txmt code & he ought to use modifier 54 (I'll bet none of the ER docs use that mod, though.) What does everyone else think?

Actually I believe that they can bill for the non-manipulative treatment with a 54 modifier since no follow up care will be provided by the ED physician. Then the splint would not be reported as it is included in the fracture care.
    Catherine Nolin, CPC
    cnolin78@yahoo.com

Smile Blanca Cpc

Quote Originally Posted by Marge Forst View Post
    I don't think the ED physician should be charging fracture care for non-manipulative treatment, as he will not be seeing the patient again. If he reduces the fracture, he'd need to bill for the manipulative txmt code & he ought to use modifier 54 (I'll bet none of the ER docs use that mod, though.) What does everyone else think?
    If the ED physican bills a splint application. Can the family physician bill for a fracture care? We are a RHC-provider based.