ICD9 for cardiac clearance

1. Default ICD9 for cardiac clearance
    Exam Training Packages
    Our Dr is noting that a visit is for pre-exercise program. It is to clear the patient from a cardiac standpoint for an exercise program. Any suggestions for an ICD9? I know there has to be one out there, I'm just not finding it.

Thanks so much!

Heather

2. Default
    Your choices are limited. Look at V70.0, V70.8 or V70.9. these may apply;however many payers may not pay on these dx codes.

good luck,
    Dolores, CPC CCC

Quote Originally Posted by heatheralayna View Post
    Our Dr is noting that a visit is for pre-exercise program. It is to clear the patient from a cardiac standpoint for an exercise program. Any suggestions for an ICD9? I know there has to be one out there, I'm just not finding it.

Thanks so much!

Heather

hmmm, the question behind the question is...
    Why does this patient need to be cleared for an exercise program (not everyone needs to be cleared)?
    There may be a history of heart problems or something similar. I would ask the Dr for clarification. Otherwise you should look at V70.3 which few payors will consider medically necessary.

HTH
    Danny L. Peoples
    CIRCC,CPC

V72.81 should be pre op cardiac clearance

5. Default
    I would have to disagree with using V72.81; this code is for pre-operative cardiac clearance. The dr is performing exams to clear for excercise not surgery. Codes V70.0, V70.3, V70.8 V70.9 would be the more appropriate code to use. I also agree with dpeoples, the pt may have a reason they need excercise clearance, if so then you would also include the dx on the claim.

Dolores, CPC, CCC
    Last edited by deeva456; 08-07-2009 at 02:24 PM.