AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Coding an Abscess

Question Coding an Abscess

AAPC: Back to School
    hi there...
    I have a few MD's that are questioning the difference between a simple I&D and complicated I&D. The MD's have "heard" that if you pack an abscess, that alone results in billing a complicated I&D.
    Any suggestions on where I can find some documentation to present to them for discussion?? Many thanks!

As long as the physician feels that it was complicated, for whatever reason, and the documentation supports it -- and actually states complicated because of ..... -- then it's legit.

North Carolina

Excerpt from CPT Assistant...

Surgery: Integumentary System

Question: Many of the incision and drainage codes (ie, 10060-10140, 10180) include one code for simple procedures and one code for complicated procedures. Does the CPT code set define these terms?

AMA Comment: No. The choice of code is at the physician's discretion, based on the level of difficulty involved in the incision and drainage procedure.

Coders Desk Reference:
    The site is gently cleaned with a disinfectant. An incision is made in the center of the abscess or cyst. The site is drained and irrigated with a sterile solution. Then the skin is then closed for a simple abscess. Depending on the depth of the abscess, the physician may insert a catheter or drain for a few days. Code 10060 for a simple or single procedure; 10061 for complicated or multiple procedures. For a complicated abscess, the site is packed with sterile gauze to help the wound heal and prevent further leakage. Complex abscesses may also require subsequent surgical closure.

Similar Threads

1. Icd 10 coding abscess/cellulitis
    By krishrndz@gmail.com in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2015, 01:19 PM
  2. Coding for Abscess
    By hgarrett113 in forum Pediatrics
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
  3. Help with Coding Perirectal Abscess
    By Hopp in forum General Surgery