Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cpc exam

Promo: Code Books
    Lone Wolf - thanks for your information. I am currently taking the CPC class online and we have been told to "write in our books" and we have been told what to actually put in there. Yes most things are in the book, but if you have tabs and notes all in one place it's a lot easier than trying to find the right answer in the book.

Lonewolf,

Applause to you for speaking your mind. I honestly don't think there was any ill will within any of the previous posts; however, I understand your view. They way I look at it...everyone processes information differently. What works for one, may not work for the other. When I took my CPC exam, many moons ago, I made some notes in the anatomy area. Since I'm not clinical, I thought it would be beneficial to have some notes about the functions of the organ systems I was less familiar with. I think some become very apprehensive before an exam and are just looking for words of encouragement and direction. Don't we all from time to time?
    Last edited by RebeccaWoodward*; 08-13-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks for the kind words. Maybe I'm trying too hard to help those yet to take the exam, but what I suppose I'm trying to say in the end is that a lot of people here can give (and are giving) great advice. Clarifying or complementing points of advice is cool....stomping on one's suggestions is not.

Sorry if I offended anyone in my previous post; was earnestly trying to help, but maybe went a little overboard...

Something else I feel I need to say within this topic, go in with a timid mind set. I went in thinking I had it in the bag cause I bought the study guide and studied my head off. Keep your head level and don't over do the dreaming of what you will do once you pass. I did not pass and have fallen back into a deep state of depression. Once again I wish you the best.

Default Exam

I took a year of coding at GTCC before I took the exam and went in with no real world coding experience and passed with an 88 less than two weeks ago. I wrote alot in my books and it did not matter. I felt like my notes guided me away from the wrong answers. Mrs. Carlson is the teacher at GTCC and she is also a proctor for the exam so she made sure we had great instruction on what was important and how to use our notes to our advantage. I say definately write in your book all you need to. FYI - I had a 4.0 when I finished school. Find what works for you individually and do it. Notes are allowed as long as they are not taped or stapled or glued in. They must be handwritten. I agree to go easy on the highlighter. Do highlight but don't over do it. Also call Mrs. Carlson for advice. She loves to help. She is a tough teacher but if you get it in her class you are prepared for the real thing.

Eddie, I just took my exam last weekend on the 15th the coding well you just have to know it. the problems really were not that hard and I found were easy to follow. But you do need to make sure you know your medical terminology. Some things I did not know but I knew the prefix or suffix and so I chose from that. I had one practice test that was sent to me and I found some of the same questions from that test on the CPC test. If you want it I can send it to you my email is lisaobeid@yahoo.com

You are permitted to label your books with tabs which enables you to code quickly (if you haven't already done so), i.e., the alphabet, code no. ranges. The tabs must coincide with the info in the book (can't be for extraneous info). Another test trick: you are permitted to sign out to break or use the restroom, so if you're really stuck and need more time to think of an answer, sign out to the restroom, think of the answer, sign back in, then answer the question. This buys additional needed time.

Quote Originally Posted by susanr214 View Post
    I am new to the AAPC and was wondering if someone could help me with a few questions. I recently took the CPC exam on the 1st of August and I did not pass. DOes anyone have advice on how to better myself? I did not find time to be a problem, but my weaknesses were in Anesthia, Evalution Management, and Surgery. Any advice on coding these sections? Also, does anyone know when there is another exam located in in Oklahoma? I need to sign up for the retake. Thanks and any advice is appreciated.
    Hi I took on the 15 th (last Sat ) how long did you have to wait to find out your results I called cpc and was told that they would be available to view in a few days but i think i was mis informed from reading some of these posts I am sorry you did not pass I dont think i passed either and i have worked in family practice as a coder for almost three yrs Certificatiion is not a requirement for my job I just want to finish what i started. I found the test very hard and already scheduled a retake so if you need a study budy let me know two heads are better then one id be glad to help any way i can my email is cutetweety38@yahoo.com Take care now

Thumbs up Cpc exam

Hello Susan 214.

I just took my exam on 8/22 and found it to be a fairly hard but I would suggest that you can look at a code that fits the details of the report. What I did was just look up one code and if it fit the question that is the one I went with. I know this was propably not the best way to look it up but that is what worked for me.

Good luck on the 2nd attempt.

ep

Smile

AAPC says it takes "2-4 weeks" to get the results; our proctors told us "7-10 business days." It was on the 8th business day that I saw the result posted on my account (I passed ), so you might see something by the end of this week. Good luck!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast