Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Cpc exam - what to expect

Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. Maybe I'm trying too hard to help those yet to take the exam, but what I suppose I'm trying to say in the end is that a lot of people here can give (and are giving) great advice. Clarifying or complementing points of advice is cool....stomping on one's suggestions is not.

Sorry if I offended anyone in my previous post; was earnestly trying to help, but maybe went a little overboard...

Just to clarify:
    I was not "stomping on one's suggestions". I was requesting clarification regarding the writing of notes in your code books, as I indicated this was expressly forbidden when I took the exam. I was indicating that it might be wise to check on this as I had not heard it was now allowed. Do not take offense so quickly as we all use these forums to learn and pass on valuable information. You skill and expertise is recognized and I never questioned that. I am sorry if you were offended.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Default cpc test
    What day did you take your test

Back in November of 1998

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    Just to clarify:
    I was not "stomping on one's suggestions". I was requesting clarification regarding the writing of notes in your code books, as I indicated this was expressly forbidden when I took the exam. I was indicating that it might be wise to check on this as I had not heard it was now allowed. Do not take offense so quickly as we all use these forums to learn and pass on valuable information. You skill and expertise is recognized and I never questioned that. I am sorry if you were offended.
    Sorry about the "ouburst"...it wasn't just you.

5. Default Eliminating questions that dont belong. What is the signs or clues to look.
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    10 things you can do:

1. Bring two drinks, and even a small amount of food (if allowed), if you're hungry.

2. Take practice exams before the real thing. It'll give you a good idea how to pace yourself over the 5½ hours - more beneficial than doing simulated questions.

3. Try to eliminate one or two answers right away. Then find dx or procedure codes in the remaining answers that don't fit the question. That helps a lot, trust me. It's multiple choice, so the correct answer is there! Trust yourself...

4. Don't get flustered if you look at the first few questions and lose it. Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and go to some questions in sections you're good at. Build momentum.

5. Check the clock after 50 questions - if you're under 110 minutes, you're fine. If you're over 110 minutes, you need to pick up the pace.

6. Write as much as possible in your manuals before the exam. If necessary, go to the library for an afternoon (to avoid distractions) and put things in your manuals, like: An audit sheet, insurance information, terminology, fill out your anatomy plates in front of the cpt, summaries from carol buck's book (if applicable), and so on...

7. Highlight judiciously. Don't paint your manuals yellow; that will do more harm than good.

8. Try to get up early on exam day and have a breakfast, including coffee. Better to walk in already awake and functioning, than dragging and hurrying.

9. The night before, relax. Don't cram - if you don't know it the night before, it's already too late. Kick back and watch tv, or do something relaxing.

10. Know your guidelines, or at least, highlight the important parts of the guidelines for each section. Everyone says that for good reason; some questions will likely bring guidelines into play.

Also check out the student forum; lots of threads there giving advice.

Good luck!

what are the signs and clues to look for when doing the eliminating process of the questions.

Default Exam
    I took my CPC exam on the same day as Eddie, and probably at the same place too since I am also in Mesa, AZ. I am still eagerly awaiting my results. I know everyone is saying 8 business days. It's only been 5, but I am still checking like every few hours. I just want to know already. Eddie, have you gotten your results yet?

7. Default
    I just took my CPC last Saturday so today (Friday) its been 5 business days for me to and nothing yet. I have also been checking evey few hours too lol... I am from Connecticut. If I have to wait much longer I am going to need a "V" code LOL... best of luck...

Default Patience
    Okay ... I know it's nerve wracking to wait for your results. But, please, give yourselves a break.

Let's say your test is on Saturday. Your proctor has two business days to get the package to FedEx (new process ... all tests are returned via 2-day FedEx). So it's possible the proctor didn't get the package to the FedEx drop until Tuesday. Then it'll take two days to be delivered to Salt Lake City ... that's Thursday. And it will take a few business days to be scored and the results posted ... let's say the following Monday.

So if we arbitrarly call Test Saturday Day 1 ... the likelihood of seeing results before One-week Monday Day 10 is pretty slim.

Take a breath. Nothing you do will make the results appear any faster. Promise yourself you won't even look until at LEAST 7 days after you take the exam.

Good luck!

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
    Last edited by FTessaBartels; 09-01-2009 at 09:56 AM.

That is very good advice. My proctor did say she was mailing them out that day, which I hope she did. I still want to know how I did.

10. Default Test taking strategy
    Hello to all. I have posted this in another section of the forum but maybe this is best area for discussion.

I see some discussion of using the answers as a test taking strategy in that you have the 4 answers in front of you and go directly to the tab section and verify which is the right answer. In otherwords you bypass the index.

I know that you could never do this in real life office setting but is this an accepted test taking strategy?

I am curious as to whether this has proven a good strategy. It might not work for all questions but maybe if you are in a bind on a particular correct answer?

Thanks for any input!! Much appreciated.

Am taking the test for the first time next month!!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast