AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Reimbursement for Nurse Practitioners

Default Reimbursement for Nurse Practitioners

AAPC: Back to School
    Has anyone heard of this going to 100% from 85%. One of the NP's said that Jim Collins was at a dinner she was at about a year ago and told her this.....Did I miss something??

NPPs (non physician practioners) are reimbursed at 85% of the physician fee schedule thru Medicare.

If they are providing services incident-to a physician they will be reimbursed at 100%.

As far as I know nothing has changed, it has been this way for as long as I can remember.

Laura, CPC, CEMC

If a NP is seperately enrolled into the Medicare program, and you bill as such, the reimbursement is 85% of the fee schedule.

If you are billing incident-to, granted all documentation supports, you are paid 100% because you are billing under the physician's name and provider numbers.

Laura is correct, nothing has changed.

Columbia, MO

Oh absolutely, that is true, but there are the underserved areas where an Np can bill with their own number and be reimbursed 100%. I am more familiar with this in primarily rural areas where access to providers is limited.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. Nurse Practitioners
    By Partha in forum Medicare Regulations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 02:32 PM
  2. Nurse practitioners
    By safnlp in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 02:22 PM
  3. Reimbursement to Nurse Practitioners
    By cvand1972 in forum Cardiology