Results 1 to 10 of 10

Place of Service Problem

  1. Default Place of Service Problem
    Medical Coding Books
    I am having trouble with my place of service code for IV antibiotic therapy. We are a physician office with an infusion suite and pharmacy. Most of our patients are able to take their medications home and administer themselves. We have been billing place of service 11 but sometimes are running into trouble with the patient being given a copay for every day they are taking the medication. I am weary of coding place of service 12 because we are not a home health agency. I am also not sure about using place of service 1 because we are not a free standing pharmacy. The medication is mixed here in the office and that has been the rationale behind choosing this place of service code. Most claims are paid fine but some are kicking out a copay. I am really getting frustrated with this. Any advise on this matter will be greatly appreciated if anyone has any experience with this.

  2. #2
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    12,531
    Default
    Sorry but it is place of service 11, the fact that there is a copay is simply the way it is. You are billing the injection admin code and the drug only correct? Do not use a 99211.

    Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

  3. #3
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    73
    Default
    What are you doing, exactly? Are you just mixing the drug and the pt takes it home for self administration? If you are just mixing the drug, then you should not be billing the admin. As for the co-pay, it is because you are billing from the Office.
    Ray Galvez CPC

  4. Default
    Our office does home infusion as well. We always bill POS 11 even for the patients that take home the pumps.
    I believe you are billing correctly it's just unfortunate the patients have the copay everytime.

  5. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    Sorry but it is place of service 11, the fact that there is a copay is simply the way it is. You are billing the injection admin code and the drug only correct? Do not use a 99211.
    If the patient infused in the office we bill the admin code. If they take it home I just bill for the drug.

  6. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by TiffanyParks View Post
    Our office does home infusion as well. We always bill POS 11 even for the patients that take home the pumps.
    I believe you are billing correctly it's just unfortunate the patients have the copay everytime.
    That is what I was thinking. Of course, when the patient calls the insurance company they tell them it is because of the way that we billed it. But, there is no other way to bill it. Do your patients get hit with the copays too?

  7. #7
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    12,531
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ebjohnson View Post
    If the patient infused in the office we bill the admin code. If they take it home I just bill for the drug.
    For the drugs you dispense for home use ... you say you have a pharmacy also.. then they should be billing out the drugs which are sent home as a dispensing pharmacy.

    Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

  8. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    For the drugs you dispense for home use ... you say you have a pharmacy also.. then they should be billing out the drugs which are sent home as a dispensing pharmacy.
    The pharmacy is in the office. What is the place of service for that? 1?

  9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ebjohnson View Post
    That is what I was thinking. Of course, when the patient calls the insurance company they tell them it is because of the way that we billed it. But, there is no other way to bill it. Do your patients get hit with the copays too?
    I have not had patients get copay unless we bill an office visit the same day. When we bill a nurse visit 99211 the patient doesn't seem to get a copay.

  10. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by TiffanyParks View Post
    I have not had patients get copay unless we bill an office visit the same day. When we bill a nurse visit 99211 the patient doesn't seem to get a copay.
    I have noticed that most of the time they don't have a copay with the 99211 for us either. What services do your nurses perform when you bill the 99211?

Similar Threads

  1. place of service help
    By capatterson in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2013, 10:45 AM
  2. Site of Service / Place of service for professional claims?
    By Denise in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 06:41 AM
  3. Place of Service and Date of Service
    By NESmith in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
  4. Place of Service-What POS service
    By Partha in forum E/M
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 09:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?

Login

Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.