AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Mesh supply code

Default Mesh supply code

AAPC: Back to School
    I am looking for a HCPCS code for hernia mesh. Someone in the office has said that C1781 is for hospital use only. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments.

I use L8699 for Misc Implants and A4649 for Misc Supplies. For the mesh I would use the A code and submit paper with the invoice and Op attached. We also mark up by a percentage. The coder before me used the "C" codes. I personally think the "C" codes are only for Hospital usage also.

I use C1781 as well as many other C codes (C1762, C1713. etc). ASC's are may use these codes as well because they are OPPS. I might add though, that some carriers have their own requirements. We have one that wants us to use 9907O. I would review your contracts for carrier preference. Also note that these C codes as well as L8699 have ASC payment indicators (most have an N1) because Medicare does not pay for implants to ASC's anymore.
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC

Mbort is right. I am studying the ASC practicum and yes they have C codes on it.

Similar Threads

1. Q Code Cast supply denials
    By amandapsps in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 06:35 AM
  2. supply code for 99070
    By ljewel in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 09:48 AM
  3. Supply Code Reporting
    By michaelrcpc in forum Billing/Reimbursement