Billing Skilled Nursing

Default Billing Skilled Nursing
    Exam Training Packages
    I work with the hospitalists group and they typically go see patient's at our Skilled nursing Facility once a week. However, what happens if there is a problem, and the hospitalist has to go see them earlier than the week. Can they bill?
    It was my understanding, that Medicare only paid for the skilled service once every seven days, and if it was sooner, it would not get paid. Can you give me some insight on this? Thanks!
    Tiffany Fischer, CPC, CEMC

I bill SNF visits everyday, and the NP's who do these visits are not limited to only seeing a pt every 7 days, however, you can not bill more than one visit in one day. This can pose a problem because if another provider sees that pt and you are unaware of them seeing them and both bill a subsequent NF code, one of your bills will get denied. It does not matter specialty or diagnosis, the codes 99307-99310 are on a PER DAY basis.

Thank you for your response. Makes sense to me. I have to relay this to another administrative individual. Do you know of any resources to find that documentation?
    Tiffany Fischer, CPC, CEMC

It is right in the CPT book and if you go on CMS and search the codes you can find documentation. Good Luck

Similar Threads

1. Skilled nursing home billing
    By LynnSC in forum Employment General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 07:47 AM
  2. Skilled Nursing Facility and NP billing
    By adcastello in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2014, 12:10 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 07:32 AM