AAPC - Back to school

Thread: 24110 vs. 24116 vs. 24999

Default 24110 vs. 24116 vs. 24999

AAPC: Back to School
    I'm confused. Two surgeons operated on pt. performing olecranon osteotomy, lesion currettage, and an osteochondral allograft of the trochlear defect. Dr. #1 performed olecranon osteotomy to expose the wound. Dr. #2 excised the tumor. Then Dr. #1 "prepared a fresh osteochondral graft from a glenoid socket". Dr. #2 wants to use CPT 24110 for his portion of the surgery. Dr. #1 is using CPT 24999 for the osteochondral graft. He has a handwritten note on his bill slip that this procedure is comparable to CPT 27415 "Osteochondral allograft, knee,open" (this note is not made in the actual OP note which is a problem). I was thinking that that CPT 24116 "Excision or currettage of bone cyst or benign tumor, humerus; with allograft." I would have both docs use Mod 62. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Milwaukee WI

Default 24115-62 ?

I'm NOT an expert (or even much of a novice) on Ortho coding ... but you say - Then Dr. #1 "prepared a fresh osteochondral graft from a glenoid socket" - Isn't this an autograft?

In any case, you are definitely on the right track. Description of Modifier 62: When two surgeons work together as primary surgeons performing distinct part(s) of a procedure, each surgeon should report his/her distinct operative work by adding modifier 62 to the procedure code and any associated add-on code(s) for that procedure ... (from 2009 CPT Professional Edition, page 478, Appendix A-Modifiers).

Hope that helps,

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

look at 24125 and I definitely agree that the 62 should be used for your scenario
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC

Default 24110 vs. 24116

Thank for your replies! Tessa, good observation. I am going to question the Doc on that.