For Medicare and Medicaid: Fellows are NOT billable; they are considered the same as residents. Documentation must shows the physical presence and involvement of the teaching physician in order to bill under the teaching physician's name.
If it is a commercial claim ... SOME commercial carriers do not require the physical presence of the teaching physician and allow the claim to be billed under the teaching physician name as long as the TP was available in the general area or even by phone or any other reasonable means of communication.
Check your carrier contracts.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join