AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Scaphoid non-union

Default Scaphoid non-union

AAPC: Back to School
    The repair of non-union scaphoid carpal, code 25440, does not do it for me? Any suggestions? I'm stuck.

NAME OF OPERATION: Arthroscopic debridement of wrist and excision of distal pole of scaphoid and capsulodesis.

INDICATIONS: This gentleman has a history of a scaphoid non-union and has persistent pain in his wrist and is here for the above-listed procedures.

The wrist was arthroscoped. There was redundant capsular tissue dorsally and volarly at the area of the radioscaphoid ligament. This was debrided arthroscopically. The mid carpal portal was then utilized and the scapholunate joint was stable. An open incision was then made in curvilinear fashion over the dorsal aspect of the wrist. The distal pole of the scaphoid was excised through the capsular tissue present. Two holes were made through the distal pole of the scaphoid and the capsular tissue was sutured to the volar aspect of the scaphoid with 2-0 Mersilene. .

unfortunately thats your only option. Also dont forget to use the "convert to open" dx code
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC

Thanks Mary, I went with that code, and thanks for reminding me of the dx code too!

Similar Threads

1. repair of metarsals non-union and mal-union
    By srbarandela in forum Podiatry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 04:33 PM
  2. scaphoid trapezoid fusion
    By Lliza71 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM
  3. mal-union & non-union
    By Zellerdh in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 2