06-09-2017, 08:44 AM | Community Wiki

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Suture Removal

Default Suture Removal
    Medical Coding Books
    Here is a really good article that sorts things out..

http://www.skinandaging.com/article/8213
    Heather Winters, CPC, CFPC

Default Suture Removal
    Heather Winters, CPC, CFPC

I have a couple of issues with these articles. First of all in the coding institute article, you do not youe the wound code to indicate the laceration site. That code indicates a new acute process which is an untrue statement. The coding guidelines and coding clinics state that after treatment we do not use the original wound/fx code, now it is either an aftercare code or there is a complication. So suture removal is the aftercare V code only.
    The article Heather sited states that the 99211 is not for physicians at all. This is untrue as well, the 99211 is a physician level, it may be performed by a physician, it may also be used when ancillary personnel are the ones with the patient carrying out the plan of care dictated by the physician in a previous encounter, but while the physician is on site.
    I just wanted to get that out in the open as I often read articles that have misleading if not untrue statements.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Default Articles cited by Heather
    Both the articles in the links provided by Heather tell us to code the appropriate level E/M code when removing sutures WITHOUT anesthesia.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

I did see that as well although one of them did state to use the 55 modifier. The only problem I have with using a visit level is that if this visit is within the post operative globla then many payers will deny it even though it is a different physician. That is when you want to use the 55 modifier with the procedure code.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123