Because a procedure was performed I would not consider the incision as content to the E&M. I believe I would assigned procedure code 46040 with modifier 52 to show the procedure was partially reduced; meaning drainage was not performed. This shows the intended procedure I&D was attempted but not completely carried out. The diagnosis code would be 569.42 (Anal/rectal pain) which may trigger a denial from the carrier. Medical records should support medical necessity during appeal.
Your other option would be to report the service with an unlisted procedure code, 45999. Reimbursement will be hindered either way since medical records will be needed to support the charge.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join