Infusion of TPA

1. Default Infusion of TPA
    Medical Coding Books
    I have an op note that says the Physician put in an infusion catheter with ports. It was positioned so the top port was in the common Femoral artery and the distal port was in the popliteal artery. Tpa was begun and continued over night.

I have never seen them use an infusion catheter with two ports. How would this be coded? Should I bill CPT: 37201,75896 only once?

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by LIBBYM2 View Post
    I have an op note that says the Physician put in an infusion catheter with ports. It was positioned so the top port was in the common Femoral artery and the distal port was in the popliteal artery. Tpa was begun and continued over night.

I have never seen them use an infusion catheter with two ports. How would this be coded? Should I bill CPT: 37201,75896 only once?

Thanks for your help!
    Yes, since this is one catheter (w/two ports) and both ports are in the same family of vessels (femoral/popliteal), in the same leg, you should only code the infusion x 1. If infusion were performed through two catheters, one in each leg for instance, then you could code this twice.
    You should also code for the catheter placement but you need to know the access site for accuracy.

HTH
    Danny L. Peoples
    CIRCC,CPC

3. Default
    okay that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Similar Threads

1. TPA Infusion/Femoral angioplasty- HELP
    By sslater in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2015, 02:24 PM
  2. tpa infusion following transfer to other facility
    By victoriagould in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 12:40 PM
  3. LE thrombectomy, Atherectomy and TPA infusion
    By Robbin109 in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 0