I'm not sure I follow you .. did the patient remain in the hospital two additional days beyond the "discharge?"
There are no specific guidelines for what needs to be included in discharge day management documentation - other than time, if over 30 minutes.
So if your physician was the admitting physician, and still the attending physician on day of discharge, and there is a progress note for the date of discharge, and any indication that the patient will be discharged (orders count), you could code the 99238.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join