traumatic ammputation of finger

1. Default traumatic ammputation of finger
    Medical Coding Books
    Ok I got a traumatic amputation of finger (caught in grinder) that happened a couple of weeks ago and he never had anything done to it but now he comes in for a amputation of the same finger but it is festering. My question is "does that constitute a code of 886.1, traumatic amputation of finger complicated"?

if the finger is still intact and is being amputated for the festering then i would use 883.2 for open wound of finger w/ tendon involvement or 927.3 for crushing injury. u might also want to add an e code to explain the injury

Quote Originally Posted by kniecey View Post
    Ok I got a traumatic amputation of finger (caught in grinder) that happened a couple of weeks ago and he never had anything done to it but now he comes in for a amputation of the same finger but it is festering. My question is "does that constitute a code of 886.1, traumatic amputation of finger complicated"?
    Traumatic amputation would indicate that the accident/incident caused the finger to amputate at the time of occurrence. If your physician feels the only logical course of treatment is to amputate then as odd as it ay sound that is termed as an elective amputation.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Regarding your DX question, is the doctor indicating that a part of the finger was partially or completely amputated during the accident? If so, and the patient delayed seeking treatment by "a couple of weeks" then I think the complicated DX code may apply here.

Similar Threads

1. help with finger traumatic amputation
    By lalit.pant in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2015, 07:20 AM
  2. Traumatic Cataract
    By tmr1965 in forum Ophthalmology/Optometry
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2014, 05:47 PM
  3. Traumatic ulcer
    By eortega in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 3