First off lets revisit the definition of modifier 62, it should only be used when the surgery takes the skills of two surgeons to complete a single surgery ("When two surgeons work together as primary surgeons performing distinct part(s) of a procedure....). In this case it sounds like (and please correct me if I am wrong) the surgeons are either performing the surgeries in tandem or sequentially with each surgeon perfroming his/her own lap nephrectomy, correct? I do have to ask why are we removing both Kidneys in the same operative session?
IF this is the case they simple each bill their own. These surgeries are through opposite sites, done by different docs (even if they are in the same practice) so the only modifier I would use is RT and LT on CPT 50545.
Doc A does the left 50545-LT
Doc B does the right 50545-RT
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join