CPT 27030 is used when drainage is from inside the joint whereas CPT 26990 is used when drainage is not inside the joint but from the adjoining muscle, fascia, or soft tissue.
If you read Coder's Desk Reference (Ingenix) then under 27030 it states incision of joint capsule (opening of the joint) whereas under 26990 it states dissection carried through deep subcutaneous tissues - fascia or muscle.
Both the codes themselves clarifies themselves - 27030 = arthrotomy (opening of joint) and 26990 = I&D pelvis or hip joint area (take note of the word "area" not the joint).
I hope this would help you.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join