It seems you have to use an unlisted code...Any other takers?
You Be the Coder: DTaP-IPV Booster Receives Own Code
Question: What is the CPT code for Kinrix?
Answer: You should use new code 90696 (Diphtheria, tetanus toxoids, acellular pertussis vaccine and poliovirus vaccine, inactivated [DTaP-IPV], when administered to children 4 through 6 years of age, for intramuscular use) with V06.3 (Need for prophylactic vaccination with diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis with poliomyelitis [DTp + polio] vaccine). CPT 2009 established the code to report a combination vaccine to protect against pertussis (whooping cough), diphtheria, tetanus, and poliomyelitis (polio) in a single injection.
Kinrix combines the DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus toxoids, and acellular pertussis) and IPV (poliovirus inactivated) vaccines. You previously had no code that represented this combination. Because CPT disallows coding each component of a combination vaccine separately, such as reporting the DTap portion with 90700 (Diphtheria, tetanus toxoids, and acellular pertussis vaccine [DTaP], when administered to individuals younger than 7 years, for intramuscular use) and the IPV component as 90713 (Poliovirus vaccine, inactivated [IPV], for subcutaneous or intramuscular use), you had to use an unlisted procedure code (meaning 90749, Unlisted vaccine/toxoid), per CPT’s "Vaccines, Toxoids" instructions.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join